Monday, October 14, 2013

Perfecting the Packages

I am a stay at home wife/mom. I am starting my own business promoting Visalus, but if you want to know more about that check out my other blog here.

But I am home all day and I have spent countless hours browsing pinterest and blogs to find ways to make the best care packages possible for the most amazing man in the world, my husband.
I know he has the worst job in all of this. He's working 12+ hour days and getting a day off every 2 weeks. He's in the desert, working in intense heat and missing his home and family. I am here in the comforts of the home he has provided for us with our kids and my family here to help support and help me. Like I said, he has it rough.

I'm the kind of girl who is independent, but I LOVE taking care of my family. I love to dote, support, encourage and pour my passion and affection into my husband. He's my best friend, my everything. Which is why having him deployed is so difficult. But I've found ways to help get me through it, one day at a time.

One of my favorite things is putting together care packages for him. I really want to make him the perfect package that will make his entire week, until the following when he gets another box from me :-) I want the other men in the company to be jealous of the boxes my husband gets.

SO here is what I've learned. Make them FUN. Use the knowledge you have of your spouse and find their favorite snacks, what makes them comfortable, what makes them smile, what they NEED and get it to them. My husband works a lot and even though they have a PX over there it doesn't carry the stuff he likes, so I keep track of his toiletries and things he needs and make sure he doesn't run out of those. I have a list of his favorite snacks and foods so if he misses going to the DFAC (their version of a cafeteria) for a meal he has food in his room and doesn't have to go without.

For my husband he LOVES the Dallas Cowboys so I picked out his sheets and sent him a blanket all in cowboys colors. I also got him a pillow he could snuggle with and got a pillow case that has a special message from me written on it and handprints from the kids. It's really wrinkled in the pictures because I used vacuum seal bags to send it :-)


One box that I've done for him took a lot of work, but it was worth it. He loves batman, so I made a batman themed package that is completely full of things that are both practical and fun.



Another important aspect to keep in mind is what he misses most from home. We have two small boys and he really misses our sons. So I try and make things that will help keep him connected to them. Handprints on just about anything :-) Any type of picture or craft. They're gone, so anything that their kids actually make for them, they will love. If you want some ideas check out pinterest they have so many things that are easy to make even if you aren't the most crafty person in the world.

(My son decorated that pumpkin for Daddy)

(My oldest has this crazy obsession with rubbing your arm, so I made a small hand of Colton's so Daddy could wear this in his sleeve and Colton could rub Daddy's arm from 7000+ miles away)

(Colton made the cross in Sunday School)

BAKE! haha they LOVE homemade food and miss it! So you can bake just about anything in a jar and mail it. You can learn about how to can here, it's super easy! My next project is going to be making spaghetti sauce and sending it.

(This is a brownie)

Decorate the sides of the boxes. My husband cuts these off and hangs them on the walls of his room. I just cut a piece of scrapbooking paper in half and it covers two of the sides of the box. I use the heavy duty stick glue and it holds it really good.

I usually spend anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours putting together a box depending on what theme I'm doing. I spend more on holiday themed boxes like the halloween box I just completed.


Or the batman themed box where I made a few things to go with it.


But I view this as a way I can still take care of my husband and SHOW him just how much I love him. It can really wear on them emotionally and mentally to complete the mission over there, so this is my way of reminding him of the things he loves and enjoys and how much we love and support him. This helps bridge the gap for me and makes me feel connected to him in spite of the 7000+ miles between us.

So get your pen and paper out and start making a list of the thing your spouse enjoys. In no time at all you'll have the inspiration you need to put together the perfect packages for your spouse. Use pinterest and take some time when you shop to look for fun things to use/send. Also craft stores like Hobby Lobby have great crafts that your kids can make that are already assembled to some degree.

Also just a tip for all those who hate the post office. Here is a few steps to make your life so much easier and avoid the post office which you'll especially appreciate around the holidays!!

Step 1: Order flat rate boxes and the customs form envelopes for free from usps.com and have them shipped to your house.

Step 2: Package your box at home at whatever pace you need in order to get everything in it that you want or can make fit :-)

Step 3: Go back to usps.com and print off the shipping label and complete the customs form

Step 4: Print, put in your customs form envelopes and stick it on the top of the box

Step 5: Schedule a pickup from your front porch (or wherever you like) at usps.com and never even have to leave your house


Now go make the perfect care package for your spouse!! It'll make both of ya'll feel better. Remember you are one more day closer to them being home and in your arms again!


No comments:

Post a Comment